How To Create Simple Products in Magento 2
According to Magento docs,
A simple product is a physical item with a single SKU.
There are six product types in Magento 2:
Among these, the simple product type is integral and as the name says, the most basic product type of Magento 2 stores. It has defined attributes that customers can’t change.
The admin can use this product type independently or with other product types such as grouped, configurable, or bundle product types.
An example of Magento 2 simple product is a bag or glasses! A sunglass with no variants in size, color, etc. is a simple product.
Create simple products in Magento 2, follow the below steps, and offer them to the customers!
Or, you can create simple product programmatically in Magento 2!
Steps to create simple products in Magento 2:
- Login to admin panel
- Navigate to Catalog > Products
- Under the Add Product menu, select Simple Product in the upper right corner.
Fill the below details after enabling the product:
- Attribute Set – Select the attribute set as default or create an attribute set.
- Product Name – Enter the product name
- SKU – Enter the SKU of the product. However, Magento takes the product name as the default SKU
- Price – Set the price of the product.
- Special Price – Enter the discounted price
- Special Price From & To – Set the start and end date of the discount availability
- Cost – The actual cost of the product
- Tier Price – The discount price offered to customers based on the customer group and website. Here, select the quantity and price for every customer group.
- Tax Class – Select None or Taxable Goods
- Quantity – Enter the quantity of the products that are currently in stock
- Stock Status – Set the stock status accordingly. Here, the default value is In Stock.
- Weight – Enter the weight of the product
- Categories – Assign categories to the product using Select box and choose the existing category or create a new one.
- Set Product As New From – Set the dates to feature the product as new
- Country of Manufacture – Select the country name from the drop-down
- Description – Enter the main product description for displaying on the product page
- Short Description – Enter the short description, mainly for the RSS feed or product page, catalog page, etc.
Images and Videos
- Add images and videos to display on the product page using the popup or drag-drop functionality.
Click on the image to fill up the details like Alt Text and Role:
- Alt Text – Enter the content to describe the image or to display in the case when the image is not loaded.
- Base – Main image for the product page
- Small – Image for listings on category and search results pages, and for sections such as for Up-sells, Cross-sells, and the New Products List.
- Thumbnail – Images for thumbnail gallery, shopping cart, blocks like related items
- Swatch – Used to illustrate the color, pattern, or texture.
Search Engine Optimization
- URL Key – Enter the URL key for the online address of the product
- Meta Title – Enter the title for the display in search results. The default meta title is based on the product name.
- Meta Keywords -Add relevant keywords for more visibility in search results.
- Meta Description – Enter the description of the product for display in the search results.
Related Products, Up-Sells, and Cross-Sells – Used to promote other products in the store
- Related Products – Add products that are supposed to be purchased in addition to the item the customer is viewing.
- Up-Sells Products – Add products that are similar to the product that you are creating but probably higher quality
- Cross-Sells Products – Add products that are offered on the shopping cart page as last-minute purchases before the checkout process begins.
Customizable Options – Configure this option to offer customers a selection of options with a variety of text, selection, and date input types.
Products in Websites – Select the option where the product is available as per the store hierarchy. By default, for a single website installation, the website checkbox is marked.
- Layout – Choose a layout from the dropdown
- Display Product Options In – Select where the product options appear on the product page from the drop-down menu
- Layout Update XML – Enter XML code in case of customizing the theme.
That was all about simple product type in Magento 2.
Once you follow these steps, you can see the Magento 2 simple product in the frontend as below:
If you need to create custom product type, visit here
Also, please feel free to mention your doubts on the topic in the Comments section below. I’d be more than happy to be a helping hand 🙂
Do share the tutorial with beginners in Magento 2 via social media.